The TOR Team are very much looking forward to the #NHS70Plymouth Open Day on Saturday 16 June, as it will be our first time at the Open Day and what a momentous milestone to celebrate.
TOR stands for Trauma, Orthopaedics and Rheumatology, a large department with over 30 specialist surgeons/consultants which keeps us extremely busy.
Below are some of the amazing things which we will be demonstrating to help celebrate this exciting day:
- Allowing visitors to try their hand at ‘plastering’, under the supervision of our fully trained Plastering Technicians.
- We are bringing a full size model of a skeleton, which we invite you to test your knowledge by ‘pinning’ the names of the bones onto the skeleton.
- Try your knowledge on our Orthopaedic Quiz and win a prize.
- See sample ‘joints’ and ‘metalwork’ which we use in Orthopaedic operations in years gone-by. You’ll be amazed how heavy they feel; also we have obtained some joints from the 50s (see how very little they have changed).
- Look at plastic joints to see how our joints work and rotate.
- We will have a couch where you can have a go at applying traction to someone’s leg. This is where you apply a strip of fabric to the outer side of a leg then bandage the leg and apply a weight to the end. Then experience how it feels to be ‘confined’ to a bed.
- Booklets and information will be available on common Orthopaedic and Rheumatology diseases and conditions (supplied by https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/).
We are at Stand 8 (bottom left hand corner of the Main Hall) so please come and join in our activities and have fun with the team, we would love to meet you all.
Trauma, Orthopaedics and Rheumatology
Come along for a day of interactive fun and education for all the family. For more information and to book on to events or talks, please download our app: http://bit.ly/NHS70PlymouthApp*.